Science Tools & Services
Institutions around the world have developed VO tools and services to be used by scientists and other VO-enabled applications. We present a list of pointers to the VO tools provided by participating organizations, as well as a list of popular and useful tools for astronomers.
Popular Tools and Services developed by US organizations
Each institute in the USVOA provides VO-oriented work. We list a few of the software here.
- MAST Portal (STScI) – retrieve astronomical catalogs, images, spectra, and more from various repositories given a target name or position in the sky.
- KOA: Keck Observatory Archive Program-Friendly Image Access Service (NExScI/WMKO) – access all public imaging data acquired by those Keck instruments equipped with an imaging mode with a single, programmatic interface for use on the command line or within a script.
- Iris (SAO) – build, visualize, fit and analyze spectral energy distributions (SEDs) in a desktop application with VO-enabled tools and services.
- Montage (IRSA/IPAC) – assemble Flexible Image Transport System (FITS) images into custom mosaics.
- VOStat (Penn State) – run simple and sophisticated statistical routines on large datasets
- World Wide Telescope (Microsoft/CfA) – a great tool for educators and outreach programs, explore the universe through all-sky surveys at multiple wavelengths, planet explorations, and a 3D representation of the local universe.
- VOClient (NOAO) – access the VO from your desktop.
- DALServer (NRAO) – easily make your data accessible through standard VO protocols with a Java Web application.
For more information on institute-specific VO efforts, view the links below:
International VO-enabled tools and services
VO tools are developed world-wide.You can find a full-list of all VO applications on the IVOA website. Here we list selected tools that you may find useful in your research:
- Aladin (CDS) – retrieve and overlay astronomical images.
- CDS Xmatch (CDS) – efficiently cross-identify sources by position between very large catalogues (up to 1 billion rows).
- SPLAT-VO (Spanish VO) – display, compare, modify and analyze spectra in a desktop or web graphical environment.
- TOPCAT (Euro-VO) – powerfully and graphically manipulate data tables.
- VOPlot (VO-India) – plot results from VO queries.
You can find a full-list of all VO applications on the IVOA website.